Those of you who have installed the Android 5.0.1 Lollipop stock firmware update available for the Exynos 5 octa-core powered Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500), can now gain root access on their Galaxy smartphones.
Senior XDA member Rubbaband has released PhilZ touch recovery for the Galaxy S4 I9500, through which the SuperSU root file can be flashed. Needless to say doing so will nullify the manufacturer’s warranty.
Head over to the following root method if you want to your Galaxy S4 running Android 5.0.1.
- Ensure that you have installed necessary USB drivers for Galaxy S4 on your PC.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone>> tap Build number seven times. A pop up will appear, that reads, ‘You are now a developer.’ Go back to the Developer options and check USB debugging and click OK.]
- As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup using custom recovery.
- The Galaxy S4 should have above 80% battery.
- Rooting the device will void the manufacturer’s warranty.
- The CF-Auto-Root file works on with Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900 and flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Check the model number of the phone by navigating to Settings>> About device>> Model number.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to root Galaxy S4 I9500 on Android 5.0.1 Lollipop and install PhilZ touch recovery
Step-1: Download PhilZ recovery on your PC
Download link: philz_touch_6.12.8-i9500.tar.md5
Step-2: Download Odin 3.09
Step-3: Connect the phone to the computer via USB cable
Step-4: Boot the phone into download mode. Switch off the phone then press Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together
Step-5: Fire up Odin on the computer
Step-6: Click the AP button on Odin and select the .tar.md recovery file
Step-7: Click the Start button in Odin to confirm installation
Step-8: After the installation is completed, the phone will reboot automatically
Step-9: When the device boots up successfully, go to recovery by holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
Step-10: Navigate to Philz settings>> Re-root System>> Yes Apply SuperSU
Step-11: Go to Google Play Store and download SuperSU
Step-12: Open SuperSU. It should ask you how do you want to update binary? Select NORMAL
That’s it. After SuperSU is installed reboot your Galaxy S4, it should be rooted on Android 5.0.1 firmware with PhilZ touch recovery installed.